Wednesday 11 July 2012

Some Old Photos of St Mary Woolnoth

Here are some lovely old photos I found of St Mary Woolnoth.

St Mary Woolnoth is one is one of my favourite City Churches. A miniature masterpiece. Hawksmoor buildings always seem so striking and original, and the tower of St Mary's could easily be mistaken for having been built two centuries later. It always seems so forgotten, for such a prominently located church, unlike many of Wren's churches which lurk down mediaeval passages. These photos appear to date from the 1960s, judging by the cars. Please note the effect of cleaning. I know dirt is bad for stone, and I know we all like to see bright shiny white buildings, but I still think the grime adds so much. It makes the whole composition stand out, and seem like a grand old lady that has looked down on Lombard Street since the days of hansom cabs.






No comments:

Post a Comment